Depending on your level of technical expertise, assembling a good enclosure can be easy or near impossible. Some users find it simpler to purchase a pre-assembled enclosure. However, even these will require you to check for compatibility before use. This means you need to ensure the SSD enclosure is compatible with your computer’s USB protocol and hardware and that other software installed on your computer doesn’t interfere with the data passed between the device and the computer.
Here are the best SSD enclosure available on the market.
Editor’s Pick-Ssd Enclosure
Best Ssd Enclosure Reviews In 2022
1. SABRENT USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure
- CONVENIENCE: 100% Tool-Free, quickly install and remove SSDs without any tools.
- DESIGN: Ultra-slim Aluminum case with ABS frame. Sleek, Durable, and Convenient. Portable yet durable, ideal for traveling.
- COMPATIBILITY: M.2 form factor compatible with both SATA and NVME in sizes: 2242/2260/2280.Thunderbolt 3 compatible
- SPEED: USB 3.2 supports data transmission speeds of up to 10Gbps for steady and efficient data transfer. Backward compatible with USB 3.1 and USB 3.0 at respective speed limits.
- PLUG & PLAY: No additional drivers required. Bus powered. Does not need an external power supply. Perfect for tech nerds, 4K content designers, and engineers. At up to 1000MB/s, Data copy and transferring will be done in in no time.
The Sabrent USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure is the perfect solution to add a second hard drive to your Mac or PC laptop! It features a sleek and compact aluminium design with a compact ABS frame making it perfect for travel. This enclosure has a USB-C connector to plug the ultra-fast SSD into any computer with an available USB-C port.
Tool Free Design:
CONVENIENCE: 100% Tool-Free, quickly install and remove SSDs without any tools. DESIGN: Ultra-slim Aluminum case with ABS frame. Sleek, Durable, and Convenient. Portable yet durable, ideal for travelling.
PLUG & PLAY:
Ultra-fast 10Gbps throughput, low latency, and power efficiency. Perfect for tech nerds, 4K content designers, and engineers. At up to 1000MB/s, Data copy and transferring will be done in no time.
2. SABRENT 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-Free External Hard Drive Enclosure
- Tool free design, easy to install,Transfer Rates Up to 480 Mbps when connected to a USB 2.0 port,Transfer Rates Up to 5 Gbps when connected to a USB 3.0 port.
- Suitable for 2.5” SATA/SSD; Supports Standard Notebook 2.5″ SATA and SATA II Hard drives
- Optimized for SSD, Supports UASP SATA III,Backwards-Compatible with USB 2.0 or 1.1
- Hot-swappable, plug and play, no drivers needed
- Operating System: Supported Operating Systems: Mac,Windows;Supported Windows Versions: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP; Supported Mac Versions: Mac OS X and Higher
SABRENT 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-Free External Hard Drive Enclosure is a tool-free design, easy-to-install UASP USB 3.0 external enclosure to protect your SSD or HDD from physical damage; it’s also compatible with USB 2.0 or 1.1. This device has an aluminium case and comes with full-size CFast & SD Card readers, as well as an internal SATA 3 port for 2.5in/3.5in HDD/SSD, used to store your data, music and documents in one safe place without taking up your valuable space on the Notebook’s hard drive.
Quickly Transfer Files
Take advantage of the lightning speed of USB 3.0 to quickly transfer files up to 5 Gbps! Connect any 2.5” Serial ATA (SATA) or SATA II Hard Drive to your computer through an available USB 3.0 port on your desktop or laptop.
This case is constructed from durable aluminium, ensuring heat dissipation and protecting your drive from overheating while providing a sleek design.
3. SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter
- 【Applicable SSD 】- This M.2 SSD Enclosure only for NVMe M-Key M.2 SSD (PCIE-based). Applicable to sizes 2242 / 2260 / 2280 solid state drivers. Does not support M.2 SATA based SSDs, M.2 PCIe AHCI SSDs, M.2 PCIe devices such as WiFi and capture cards, mSATA SSDs, and non-M.2 form factor SSDs.
- 【Type C interface】- Both side can be inserted; USB-C Gen 2 10Gbps or Thunderbolt 3 are recommended for extreme speed performance. One HD movie transfer only takes 2 seconds; Backward compatible with USB 3.1 Gen1 and USB 3.0 up to 5Gbps.
- 【Aluminum Alloy Shell】- Adopts aluminum alloy shell, slim design, durable and excellent heat dissipation, be portable and easy to carry;
- 【Blue Indicator】- Blue Indicator shows the data transfer status, easy and clear;
- 【High Quality Master Chip】- Adopts high performance controller IC, Complies with UASP, Trim which can effectively improve the speed and exteend the lifetime of SSD. Compatible Multi OS, Windows 7/ 8/ 8.1/ 10/ Linux/ MAC.
SSK Aluminum M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure Adapter is an easy way to solve M.2 SSD overheating problems even if you get a faulty drive. It’s also compatible with various solid state drives, such as 2242 / 2260 / 2280 M-Key M.2 drives, so it is suitable for different types of computers and laptops.
According to the New USB-IF standard, the USB 3.2 specification replaces the USB3.0 USB3.1 specification, and it introduced a new nomenclature; the USB 3.2 specification absorbed all prior USB 3.0/3.1 specifications, So our 10Gbps USB C NVME SSD Enclosure, we can say USB3.1 Gen 2 or USB3.2 Gen 2(Old Nomenclature /New Nomenclature)
SSK Type C M.2 NVMe PCI-E SSD Enclosure
SSK M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure adopts a high-performance controller chip(JMS583), up to 10Gbps high-speed data transmission. 1GB file only takes1 a second; it Complies with UASP, and Trim which can effectively improve the speed and extend the lifetime of SSD.
4. Anker PowerExpand M.2 NVMe and SATA SSD Enclosure
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 65 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Transfer Files in Seconds: Insert your M.2 NVMe/SATA SSD and connect to a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port to transfer files at speeds of up to 10 Gbps.
- Wide Compatibility: Compatible with NVMe and SATA protocols, SSDs with M or B&M keys, and size 2230 / 2242 / 2260 / 2280 SSDs. Not compatible with mSATA or PCIe AHCI SSDs.
We want you to live without the inconvenience and uncertainty of where your next charge is coming from. Our chargers and accessories don’t just power up your devices; they offer the tech experience you want with zero restrictions.
Connect PowerExpand to your laptop’s USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port to transfer movies, music, and more at up to 10 Gbps.
Only 0.5 inches thick, weighing less than 2 oz, and with a travel pouch included—it couldn’t be easier to take PowerExpand with you.
5. UGREEN NVME and SATA M.2 Enclosure Tool-Free
- 【10Gbps M.2 NVMe SATA Enclosure】Transfer data fast with either USB C 3.2 Gen2 or Thunderbolt 3. This M.2 enclosure provides transport speeds of up to 10Gbps as an NVMe enclosure and 6Gbps with SATA protocols.
- 【Tool-Free Installation】Install this plug and play NVMe SSD enclosure quickly and easily, no drivers needed. The buckle design of the M.2 SSD enclosure ensures steady and speedy transmissions.
- 【Broad Compatibility】UGREEN M.2 NVMe SSD enclosures are specially designed for M and B&M Keys and size 2230 /2242 /2260 /2280 SSDs above 2TB. The SSD reader is applicable to Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, and IOS systems. (NOTE: It does not support M-SATA or an SSD with a heatsink larger than 1mm).
- 【Safety and Stability】The NVMe reader features an advanced RTL9210B chip, with short-circuit, over-current, and multi-protection to ensure safety for your SSD and valuable data. It also supports UASP/Trim with fast transmission speed.
- 【Compact and Portable】Take your data with you. The ultra-slim aluminum case with a silicone frame makes the enclosure portable, durable, and ideal for traveling. What You Get: 1×SSD enclosure USB C, 1×USB-C to C cable, 1×USB-C to A cable, 1×User Manual.
In a world of shifting technologies and standards, you need an NVME and SATA M.2 enclosure that will keep up. The durable EVA exterior protects the interior, and the easy grip handle simplifies the transfer process. Transfer data fast with either USB C 3.2 Gen2 or Thunderbolt 3. This M.2 enclosure provides transport speeds of up to 10Gbps as an NVMe enclosure and 6Gbps with SATA protocols.
UGREEN M.2 enclosure is designed to house an M-Key& B+M Keys and size 2230/2242 /2260/2280 NVMe PCIe SSD and M.2 SATA SSD, which turns it into a portable USB 3.2 external drive for maximum utilization. Tool-free and no driver needed, just plug and play. Ideal for transferring files, backing up data, reusing old M.2 SSD, and expanding storage space.
Tool-free & Driver Free
Plug and play; no driver needed. Use the rubber fasteners to secure your M.2 SSD drives onto the board.
USB-C to C and USB-C to A Cable Included
It comes with a 50cm USB-C to USB-C Cable and USB-A to USB-C Cable for super-fast data transferring.
With the white LED indicator, you can learn the operational status of this M2 Case quickly. Flashing means processing data transmission.
6. ACASIS USB C 3.2 SSD Enclosure for Apple Flash
- [Higher Compatibility] This USB C 3.2 SSD enclosure works well for Apple original Mac SSDs with 12+16 Pins. DOES NOT support Toshiba 12+16 PIN SSDs (*please make sure your SSD in Mac is not a Toshiba one before purchase). NOT compatible with all SATA SSDs, or third-party SSDs, including OWC SSDs. Support M.2 NVMe SSDs with an enclosure interface adapter.
- [Faster Data Transmission] 10Gbps transmission speed with USB 3.2 Gen2 interface. Save and transfer data in a seconds. It can also reach 20Gbps transmission speed with USB 3.2 Gen2x2 if the computer supports.
- [Friendly Design] ACASIS USB C 3.2 SSD enclosure is sturdy and portable, with aluminum alloy case for quicker heat dissipation. To prevent it from being disconnected from your Mac or PC, we advise you: ① put PCB back into the enclosure and tighten the screws to use (which will also help dissipate heat effectively); ② deselect “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” both in Battery and and Power Adapter.
- [System Requirements] ACASIS USB C 3.2 SSD enclosure supports Windows7/8/10/11,Mac OS 10.0,Linux 2.6 or later.Supports for 2013-2017 MacBook Air, 2013-2015 MacBook Pro Retina, 2013-2014 iMac, 2013 Mac Pro
- [Easy Installation] Just take out the PCB board from the enclosure,then fully insert SSD to card slot of the PCB board, we advise you put PCB back into the enclosure and tighten the screws to use. So it can get effective heat dissipation or it will disconnected in your Mac or PC. Plug and play, support hot plug.On Windows OS, hard disk will not available on "This PC"/ "My computer", please find your drive from "Disk Management".
The exclusive hard drive USB 3.2 SSD Enclosure for Macbook Air/Pro turns Mac’s original hard drive into a removable drive. It supports Windows, Mac dual system, strong compatibility, and no need to drive. 10Gbps transfer Send to Type-C USB3.2, measured continuous read and write, up to 10Gbps. The system currently supporting UASP must be WIN8/WIN10/MAC 0S8&9 or above, and the PC must support the UASP function. PC, OS, hard drive, and transfer is different. Performance may vary.
For Apple SSD Mobile SSD Enclosure
USB 3.0 Type-C NVMe hard disk enclosure for MacBook Air / Pro converts the original MAC SSDs into a mobile hard disk. Only compatible with the original Apple SSD.
Aluminum Alloy Shell
Aluminium alloy shell has the advantages of fast heat dissipation, light weight and convenient carrying.
Please push hard and makes the ssds will be fully inserted into the PCBA card slot. Portable external memory for Apple flashes SSD. Plug and play, support hot plug.
How To Choose The Best SSD Enclosure Before Purchasing
Flash memory is used to store data in the Thunderbolt 3 SSD enclosure, so data recovery is virtually rapid even if a hard drive becomes fragmented over time. The most notable benefit of the SSD is that it reads and writes data considerably faster and consumes less power, which will save battery life and extend battery life for laptops. SSDs are also quiet and long-lasting because they do not contain revolving mechanical components. The following considerations must be kept in mind while shopping for an SSD hard drive:
Generally speaking, the more capacity you have, your performance will improve. The bigger the amount of memory, the faster the SSD drive will access data. If you have a lot of data to store and frequently need to access it, you should acquire a hard disk with the most storage space at a price you can afford. When purchasing an SSD, you should use a smaller capacity if you want the best of both worlds: stability and cost-effectiveness.
Put another way; it implies wasting money on unnecessary storage space. The greater storage capacity, on the other hand, comes at a higher cost. In the past, you could acquire 128 GB of storage for $ 100, but if you have the money, it’s better to spend the extra money and go with a 240 – 256 GB hard drive or more. I’m not sure what to put on the SSD yet.
It’s currently possible to buy 3.5-inch desktop drives and 2.5-inch laptop drives. However, because of today’s small-capacity SSD technology, 2.5″ is frequently the usual size. In the case of a desktop computer, a simple converter tray is all that is required. In most cases, this converter tray is included with the SSD, but if it isn’t, you can find it at shops that offer laptop parts, accessories, and computers.
When purchasing an SSD hard drive, you should also pay attention to the sort of connection connector that is compatible with the computer system that you are using. Internally, the vast majority of hard drives and solid-state drives (SSDs) utilize the SATA interface. SATA-3 connections with up to 6Gbps bandwidth and write rates of more than 550MB/s are now standard on new SSDs, which are backwards compatible with older SATA-1 and SATA-2 interfaces. You can, however, purchase an external hard drive if you so desire.
The brand is another factor that influences us while making a purchase decision. Buying hard drives from any company is an issue that customers need to pay special attention to as the market becomes increasingly counterfeit and of low quality. There are a plethora of manufacturing companies out there, but the quality of their products is also very comparable.
In contrast, there are several well-known brands like Intel, which people respect since their goods are long-lasting and error-free, even if they are slower than other brands. Plextor, for example, is a Japanese brand whose products are well-known for their high durability and precision, making them an excellent choice if you’re looking for a more exotic option. In addition, Samsung, Sabrent, and other respected companies are also available.
Speeds of Transfer
In general, SSDs are faster than hard drives. Even better, the external disk just has an M.2 PCIe SSD. NVMe drives are the best SSDs for quickly and reliably copying large files. However, Thunderbolt 3 PCs must take advantage of NVMe’s lightning-fast speeds.
USB 3.2 (1050MBps) and USB 3.0 (480MBps) can provide both capture data at high speeds, regardless of the speed at which an optical drive is loading it. Speeds of up to 2,800MBps are possible with ThunderBlt 3 when using Samsung SSD X5 external drives.
Frequently Asked Question
Can You Put An Ssd In An Enclosure?
You can also install M. 2 SSDs into an enclosure. There are enclosures with either USB-A or USB-C connectors. If your computer supports USB-C and NVMe, use an NVMe M.
How Do I Choose An Ssd Enclosure?
The first and most important thing is whether it is compatible with your SSD. Then choose the external hard drive enclosure based on the SSD interface. The last is to choose other personalized features.
Does An Ssd Need An Enclosure?
Titan. To an enclosure, it doesn’t matter if it’s SSD or HDD. It doesn’t matter anywhere. Consider SSD as a very fast HDD, that’s all.
What does an SSD enclosure do?
At its simplest, a drive enclosure is a metal or plastic housing designed to cover and protect a disk drive from damage. Drive enclosures can house single or multiple drives and contain a method for connecting the drive to a host computer.
Is An External Ssd As Fast As Internal?
The answer is: it depends. It depends on your system and its form factor and interface. While the latest external SSDs have incredible write speeds, they cannot reach those speeds using older connections such as USB-A. Likewise, drive speeds are directly affected by the interface.
The Thunderbolt 3 SSD Enclosure we will see here is one of the most recommended solutions for everyone who needs to transfer data with large volumes, for bloggers, especially those who need to approve and publish articles on the web, and for people who just want to backup their files if something is lost. These enclosures integrate perfectly with new computers and operating systems; their structure allows them to process information and store them quickly.
Carly D. Thomas is a web developer at a reputed company for the last 5 years. After studying at San Mateo College of Silicon Valley on web development, he started his career at age of 24. now he is spreading his knowledge among beginners around the world through Everypost.me