The sales figure for Apple Watch has been predicted around 36 million within the first year itself and industry experts believe Apple Watch will play a key role in the app ecosystem and user’s life. Naturally developers and businesses are keen to capitalize on it. The Apple Watch as it is being seen from the trends may be the forerunner in the wearable market and can transform the way wearable apps are developed and addressed. But how these apps can boost downloads that still remained the principal focus area for the marketers.
As far as offering potential for the brands and creating experiences for the users are concerned, Apple watch is way ahead of its competitors and really makes users interact with the apps in innovative ways. Question remains, how to take advantage of this platform and offer apps that can create app experience for more meaningful results. Here we introduce a few considerations that you need to check as a publisher and developer of Apple Watch apps.
- App visibility in ‘Glances’and actionable appeal
Glances refer to screens on watch displaying snippets of app information offering quick actionable information at a glance. Does your app takes advantage of this ‘Glances’feature and in viewable at a glance? That is big consideration if you want to increase visibility and increase user engagement. Watch screen is smaller and generally people are less habituated to give their attention to it any longer than few seconds from time to time. So, your app needs to communicate within just few flickering seconds of user’s glance.
- The feature referred as ‘Glances’is particularly relevant for apps that we check constantly from time to time. Apps like social media apps, dating apps, apps for weather, stock market apps, entertainment apps, etc. need to use this feature most.
- For app marketers adding more control can easily be done by tailoring the ‘call to action’buttons like ‘dismiss’, ‘add to wishlist’, ‘remind me later’etc.
- This also gives scope to analyze the notifications and their effects in engaging users.
- Shaping personal engagement with the user
Apple Watch is more personalized a device than iPhones and the apps here demand to create more personal experience for the users. The space is very limited and if you cannot strike a personal chord there is enough reason that you will be replaced by another similar type of app with more personally touching attributes. How to deliver such user engagement on a personal level? Here are some solutions.
- Instead of offering just push messages that are generic and impersonal in nature, you should offer them push messages that are dynamic in nature contextual to their life situations.
- When looking at a ticket booking or travel app it should offer me push messages in context to my search, local information and the time and place I’m in.
- Relevant and actionable notification
Apple Watch app marketers must take heed to the fact that they cannot decide whether the notification content will be shown for the app version on watch or over iPhone. As they do not have any control on this aspect you have to make other things to perfect to make notifications work in your favor. Watch is a very personalized device and without making your app appealing enough the users will give no attention to your app.
- Work rigorously for making push messages more personalized. These push messages should create an impression that you sensed the vibe and user wants before even he is completely aware.
- Various studies indicate that app users are not antipathetic to push notifications, rather they are happily used to it.
- Apps with active push notifications enjoy far higher user engagement and retention than apps without active push notification.
- Make your notifications simple and quickly and easily actionable with short options like a ‘yes’, ‘no’, ‘later’or similar short and simple response.
- Studies indicate that only a very measure percentage of users respond to non-segmented and generic push messages. On the other hand personalized, contextual and user specific push messages enjoy far higher response.
- Continuity with mobile app
Watch apps in their present avatar still serve as companions to mobile apps which play bigger role in user engagement and interactions. Most watch apps are basically extensions of their bigger mobile counterparts. Don’t forget that Watch apps are intended to be companions to the phone app, where different interactions occur. For example take any fitness app or activity tracker that offers glanceable display containing information such as your running speed, distance covered, calorie spent, etc. But for setting the app to track your activities you need to begin with the mobile app. Watch apps are still mostly companion apps and more intuitively and usefully this companionship is established better your app garners user appreciation.
- To feel the loopholes and problems in app compatibility and companionship you can make use of analytics to analyse app usage data on both mobile and watch version of the apps.
- Assessing the impact of apps interface on wearable devices and mobile with a cross platform as well as cross device approach is extremely crucial to your success.
- App usefulness and reaction to push messages
Finally, creating a meaningful watch app experience with your app interface is what is most important. This cannot be done without taking user feedback and using this feedback as accurately as possible for the marketing of the app. Feedback and user data finally enables app marketers to understand the watch app impact on their overall marketing and branding strategy. To judge the usefulness and your reaction to app push messages following aspects are important.
- For how long users are using the watch app and whether the app is being displayed properly is important for judging usability score.
- The volume of active users and the growth of user base is another assessment factor.
- The display of personalized push messages simultaneously on both user’s phone and watch is another important factor to look for.
- The impact of personalized messages in converting business or enhancing activity is also crucial element to assess.
- Comparative user data between user interactions on smartphone and watch will give you right insights concerning how to address each platform separately and in unison.
Watch apps are quintessentially extension of mobile apps but being displayed on more personal devices like watch it demands more engaging and contextual personal touch to win the users. Apple Watch unlike many other wearable platforms took off rather with a solid sales boom and this is the right time to capitalize on this lucrative platform with more creative business focus.
Keval Padia is a Founder & CEO of Nimblechapps, a fast-growing iPhone mobile app development company. The current innovation and updates of the field lures him to express his views and thoughts on certain topics.