In any social media campaign, images are crucial in creating compelling and engaging posts. However, finding images for your next campaign is not as simple as a quick Google image search. In fact, finding free, high quality images online can be one of the most difficult tasks for a startup—as most online images are copyright protected and accompanied by a plethora of legal issues.
To make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of websites that provide free images that will help you enhance your social media campaign without any fuss. These free image sources offer basic stock photos and/or more artistic photos, depending on the campaign you’re running. We’ve broken them up by those criteria to help you find what you need for your networks.
Basic stock photo sites
1. Free Digital Photos: Exactly what it sounds like…Free Digital Photos is a database containing a wide variety of photo categories. No registration required; all that is needed is an attribution to the photographer.
2. Stockvault: Stockvault is a stock photo sharing website where photographers, students, and designers can post their pictures to share with each other for free. Search among a wide variety of good quality pictures, no registration required.
3. Dreamstime: Dreamstime features a large free image section, updated often. Dreamstime also has a large selection of free web design graphics and icons.
4. Free Photos Bank: Free Photos Bank is a site really great for image search, with multiple ways to navigate the site and a wide variety of photo categories. No login or registration required.
5. ImageInject: ImageInject is a free WordPress plugin that allows you to easily insert free creative commons pictures into your WordPress posts. The database contains thousands of pictures that can then quickly be attached to a blog post—including all required attribution links next to the image.
High quality, artistic photography
6. Unsplash: Unsplash provides 10 high quality, high resolution photos every 10 days, all licensed under Creative Commons Zero, meaning the photos can be used for whatever you want.
7. Little Visuals: Subscribe to Little Visuals and receive 7 original, high-resolution, creative commons photos sent to your email inbox every 7 days.
8. Superfamous Studios: Find the stunning nature photography of Dutch designer Folkert Gorter, available for free and commercial use, but attribution is required.
9. Picjumbo: Search through a wide variety of high quality, full resolution free photos, updated daily, with easy to navigate categories.
10. OpenClipart: If you’re looking for Clipart, OpenClipart has a great selection of high quality and royalty free Clipart.
Any others you prefer to use? Leave them in the comments!